Important Update: June 30, 2020
As of June 30, 2020, the Arizona Historical Society has temporarily closed the Arizona History Museum and Arizona Heritage Center.
June 5, 2020
The Arizona Historical Society is excited to welcome you back into our museums. For more than 150 years, we have been connecting people to the power of Arizona’s history through our exhibits, programs, library and archives, publications, and museums across the state. After a careful planning process, we will be thoughtfully reopening two of our museums beginning June 13 for Members and June 16 for the General Public.
The safety of our guests, employees, and volunteers is our priority. We continue to follow guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and the Arizona Department of Health Services to allow guests to have a safe and enjoyable experience.
The Arizona History Museum in Tucson and the Arizona Heritage Center at Papago Park in Tempe will open first beginning on June 13 for a Members-only day. We will open to the General Public on Tuesday, June 16.
- Saturday, June 13 – Open to Members only
- Tuesday, June 16 – Open to the Public
- New Museum Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Library and Archives: Tuesday-Friday by appointment only, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Email [email protected]s.gov to schedule an appointment.
We have increased the sanitization schedule for public areas and high-touch surfaces, installed plexiglass barriers at the front desks, and closed some small galleries and interactive areas. Please know there may be delays in entering museums due to limited occupancy caused by social distancing requirements.
A few additional updates:
- Museum guests, vendors, and visitors are asked to maintain 6-feet physical distancing in the museums.
- Effective June 23, 2020: Masks or face coverings for museum guests, vendors, and visitors are *required*. AHS staff will be wearing face coverings.
Arizona Heritage Center: Everyone over the age of 6 must wear a mask when in the museum.
Arizona History Museum: Everyone over the age of 5 must wear a mask when in the museum.
- Library and Archives visits are by appointment only. Researchers and guests will be required to wear masks in the Library. These will be provided by AHS if needed. A handmade mask is acceptable. Email [email protected] to schedule an appointment.
- Guests are encouraged to purchase admission online starting on June 12. We encourage the use of credit/debit cards, although cash will be accepted.
- Visits will be limited to 90 minutes, with extensions upon request and availability.
- Drinking fountains will be closed, but guests will be allowed to bring personal water bottles inside museums. Bottled water is also available for purchase.
- Museum Gift Shops will remain temporarily closed through June 30.
- If you are not feeling well, or if you have a fever, we ask that you please stay home. If you purchased admission online, we will work with you to refund your ticket or honor it at a future date.
- For AHS Membership questions, please contact [email protected].
Pioneer Museum grounds are open however, the museum is closed. You are welcome to explore the museum grounds between the hours of 10:00 am and 5:00 pm. Please note that some areas may be restricted. We apologize, but restrooms are not available.
Riordan Mansion in Flagstaff and Downtown History Museum and Fort Lowell Museum in Tucson will also remain closed at this time. Sanguinetti House Museum & Gardens is closed to the public for the summer months.
Library and Archives: Appointments are available Tuesday-Friday from 10am to 12pm, and 1pm to 3. The reading room will be closed for an hour between Noon and 1pm to allow for more enhanced cleaning procedures. Day-of appointments can be made for the afternoon time slots, as space allows. You must make the appointment at least 4 hours before arriving so that we have time to prepare a space for you and gather materials. All researchers are asked to wear a mask while in the Reading Room. If you are unable to bring your own, one will be provided to you. To schedule an appointment, please email [email protected] or call us at Tempe: 480-387-5355 or Tucson: 520-617-1157. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. To begin your research, search our collections and catalog here: https://arizonahistoricalsociety.org/research/library-archives/
Upcoming Holidays: The Arizona History Museum and Arizona Heritage Center will be closed Saturday, July 4 in observance of Independence Day. The Libary and Archives at both museums will be closed Friday, July 3.
We appreciate your support during this time and we look forward to your visit.