About the Al Merito Award
The Arizona Historical Society established the Al Merito Award in 1973 to recognize individuals and organizations who have made outstanding contributions and serve as role models for preserving Arizona’s rich history. This honor acknowledges meritorious service for those who preserve and celebrate Arizona history. Following a review of all nominations, the AHS Board of Directors selects one individual and one organization/group to receive the Al Merito Award annually.
**Please note, 2021 Al Merito Awards are on hiatus. The awards will resume in 2022.**
We invite nominations of organizations and/or individuals whose special achievements have enriched the community through their vision, dedication, and love of Arizona history. Note: Applications may be submitted by anyone. AHS staff, AHS Board of Directors, and Chapter Board members are not eligible recipients while active. Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Outstanding contributions or extraordinary efforts to interpret and disseminate Arizona history.
- Demonstrated enrichment of a community (as defined by the applicant).
- Serves as a role model for the preservation of Arizona history.
- Number of years worked in the field of Arizona history.
- Preservation of previously untold Arizona history or engagement with an underserved audience.
Congratulations to the 2020 Al Merito Award Recipients!
The Arizona Historical Society (AHS) is proud to honor Delia Muñoz and the Superstition Mountain Historical Society with the 2020 Al Merito Awards.